Sep 13, 2015

Knitting with lace

Last fall while attending Grad School in Portland, OR, I came across Scrap, a store where you can purchase other peoples discarded scrap.  The first semester of the MFA AC+D program is all about material exploration.  In my quest to experiment with different types of sustainable materials, Scrap quickly became my favorite place to shop for supplies.  I found a pretty large supply of lace at Scrap (over 100 yards) and decided to purchase ALL of it, cut it into smaller strips to make yarn and knit something from it.  At the time I was also researching protective clothing, like armor and riot gear and was interested in using this very delicate material to create something that was less fragile.  This armor like piece - which went through several iterations - was the result of my material exploration.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment